2011年3月4日星期五

Forgiveness

Ask Yourself the Question: What is Forgiveness?  
Forgiveness may convey different meanings to people, such as forgetting, loving and understanding. 
Do You Always Hold a Grudge? Or Do you Like to Forgive? 

I Prefer F.O.R.G.I.V.E.N.E.S.S.
 
because . . .

  To me, forgiveness is a bridge which establishes relationships with family, friends and God.

     Forgiveness is an essential component for my parents when it comes to maintaining intimacy in their relationship. Since I was young, many of my friends envied my parents’ successful marriage, and their intimacy. It is something that I have been most proud of. However, as I have grown up, I realized that the secret behind my parents’ perfect relationship is forgiveness. My father sometimes shows his authority by making the decisions at home. My mother, who believes in gender equality, is not too happy about this unbalanced authority. Instead of arguing with my father, my mother always quietly forgives and gives him time to change. There was one time my father said inappropriate words to my mother. I was extremely angry and wondered why my mother stayed so calm without saying a word back. Next day, when my father realized what he had said last night, he apologized to my mother and it seemed as nothing had happened. Through that occasion, my mother presented to me what true forgiveness is.
     My mother’s forgiveness has changed my attitude towards my friends when they hurt me emotionally. Back in grade three, I was slandered at by a friend who thought I took her lunch box. I was very frustrated emotionally but on the outside, I pretended to be calm. Knowing that argument would not solve problems, I said: “I did not do it! If you don’t believe me, it’s okay. But when you find out the truth, the friendship is always there.” I said this and left. Later she was told by her father that he took her lunch box home.  Because of my positive attitude and words, she apologized to me right after she found out what had really happened. After that experience, my belief that forgiveness cements friendship was confirmed.
     God’s infinite forgiveness has allowed me to gain a close relationship with him. As a sinner, I have committed many sins, such as competing, lying, enving, and hating. There is one time I felt jealousy after knowing my friends’ marks were higher than mine. I was filled with guilt and shame at the same time because I knew it was not a godly thing to do. The nature of self ambition made me struggle. But a Bible verse reminded me of God’s infinite grace. “My grade is sufficient for you, and my power is made perfectly in weakness” (New International Version, Co. 12. 9). Also, God constantly remindes me that Jesus died on the cross so that all my sins were already washed away by his holy blood. I was greatly comforted by Lord’s forgiveness and it encouraged me to seek a deeper relationship with Him.
     Overall, forgiveness is a very effective way to maintain beautiful relationships. To me, forgiveness is indispensible in my life because I doubt that relationships can survive without it.

没有评论:

发表评论